WHO defines sexual health as “A state of physical, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality. It requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence.”
Sexuality is an important element of human life. Healthy relationships are maintained through constant love, intimacy, and sexual closeness. Sexologists in Kolkata emphasize on the need to stay informed and educated about sexual health for your overall well-being. Sexual health influences reproduction, physical and emotional health, and human relationships.
Sexual health concerns
There are certain issues that affect sexual health. They are:
- Sexual violence (rape, child sexual abuse, harassment)
- Physical or mental disabilities
- Certain medications prescribed for other health issues
- Recreational drugs
- Medical conditions
- Hygienic environment
Sexual Health Disorders
Sexuality reflects your total state of health. As we have already discussed the issues that affect sexual health, let us now talk about the problems caused by them.
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Unwanted Pregnancy and Abortion Complications
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases like AIDS
- Sexual dysfunction like penile disorders, erectile dysfunction, rectal discharge, delay in ejaculation, painful sex, etc.
- Unacceptable Sexual Behavior
- Reproductive System Disorders, in the worst case, cancer
- Genital Ulcers
- Sexual Aversion
Role of Education
Sexual education is a vital component of health education. In a country like India, where even mentioning the word ‘sex’ is considered a taboo, it is very much needed. Leave aside the children, even most of the adults don’t know how to maintain their sexual health. The best sexologist doctor in Kolkata gives the best advice and knowledge about sexual health. When you are informed about it, you tend to make good and healthy choices. Therefore, it is important to learn about sexuality at an early age. This helps in eliminating risks during pregnancy and against sexually transmitted diseases.
Communication is important
You do not learn about sexuality all by yourself. When there is someone with whom you are comfortable, you can frankly ask questions and clear your doubts. Similarly, you need to constantly interact with your partner about your interests and expectations. Always share your experiences with only someone you trust. Above all, do not get pressurized into a sexual situation. In other words, learn to say no.
How to manage good sexual health
- Eat healthy and nutritious food
- Avoid smoking and excessive drinking
- Don’t get obese
- Visit a doctor periodically to get yourself examined
- Use protection
Need of a sexologist
When it comes to your sexual health, you hesitate in discussing it with anyone. You always look for a person who will keep this information confidential for you. Here comes the need of a sexologist because he/she is knowledgeable and trustworthy as well. Here are a few questions you can unhesitatingly ask a sexologist doctor in south Kolkata:
- How to be prepared for sex for the first time?
- What measures to take to maintain good sexual health?
- Are there any vaccines to keep up sexual health?
- What are the risks of having sex?
- How to have safe sex?